Funded by the Provincial Government of Aurora-Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO).
The overriding goal of the project is to enhance climate resilience in the Province of Aurora by developing the capacity of the LGU personnel in the provincial and municipal levels through engaging them in the actual preparation of their respective Local Climate Change Adaptation Plan (LCCAP) consistent with the principles of transparency, accountability and participatory decision-making.
Specifically, the project aims to:
- Understand past, current and future projections of hazard occurrence, climate extremes and the range of effects of climate change on the development sectors and population concerned
- Provide hands-on trainings to LGU personnel on the science, impacts, and responses to climate change and the necessary tools and skills needed in the preparation of LCCAP.
- Conduct vulnerability and risk assessments in the 8 municipalities of Aurora using updated climate models, Geographic Information System (GIS), and participatory methods in partnership with the LGU personnel and other stakeholders.
- Identify and prioritize adaptation options for the different sectors to reduce present and future climate risks with the participation of the different stakeholders.
- Formulate appropriate climate change action programs, projects and activities based on priority adaptation options to reduce climate change risks and enhance resilience of the Aurora province.
- Mentor the LGU personnel in writing a comprehensive local climate change adaptation plan for their respective municipalities.
Attaining the desired objectives of this project, the formulation of Local Climate Change Action Plan is indeed crucial to capacitate the provincial and municipal government in developing, implementing and supporting climate change mitigation and adaptation policies, plans, and programs. The role of LGUs in climate change mitigation and adaptation complements that of the national government, and is crucial, particularly with regard to planning and implementing policy initiatives that show the largest impact at both entity and community levels.
The Provincial Government of Aurora (PGA) signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) who jointly committed to extend full cooperation and support to implement the technical assistance in the formulation of the Local Climate Change Action Plan (LLCAP) of the Province of Aurora.
Implementers at UPLB
Interdisciplinary Studies Center for Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management (INREM)
Office of the Coordinator for Research Extension and Linkages
College of Forestry and Natural Resources
University of the Philippines Los Baños
Dr. Juan M. Pulhin – Overall Team Leader (Climate Change Adaptation Specialist)
Rex Victor O. Cruz
Cristino C. Tiburan, Jr.
Maricel A. Tapia
Wilfredo M. Carandang
Vida Q. Carandang
Dixon T. Gevaña
Lorena L. Sabino
Catherine C. de Luna